Entertainment versus Teaching

It seems that in student ministry, you can always count on two types of teens to be at youth group:
1. The teens who have latched on to their faith and truly want to take the next step in their journey
2. The teens whose parents force them to come, whether they like it or not

You can always count on those two groups to be there.  But here’s the issue- that’s about 5% of the total youth in my church.  How do we get the other 95% to consider youth group as an option?  Well let’s think about it.

What is the number one reason teens in 7th -12th grade do anything?  To be entertained.  Like it or not we live in a society that has become so focused on self-entertainment that if it is not entertaining, students don’t want to do it. So obviously we have to find a way to make youth group entertaining enough to draw students in. 

But I struggle.  I would hate to think that the only reason a student comes to youth group is to be entertained.  I want to help them grow in their faith, grow in their relationship with Christ.  But maybe just getting them to come to youth group over the movies or the skate park, is one step in that direction….

So I struggle with the balance of Entertainment versus Teaching….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: